Pielgryzymka, called Peregrymka by our Rusyn ancestors, was in existence by the fifteenth century. It is the largest of our four ancestral villages. Parish and cadastral records describe a village with approximately 600 to 1200 inhabitants from the late 1700's to the late 1930's. In addition to the occupations which were the mainstay of our ancestors-farming, forestry and sheepherding, Peregrymka was known for the manufacture of brooms.
Village surnames taken from 1785 cadastral records include Hruby, Dudka, Kanczuga, Kulenicz, Musjala, Olenicz, Pawlak, Senio, Serniak, Smerek, Smolej, Telep, Fecyna, Cap and Jurkowski. Over 200 emigrants from Peregrymka are listed in the Emigrants/ Destinations section of this site.
A valuable addition to our site, an 1821 property inventory, divides the village inhabitants into kmiecie (peasants), zagrodnicy (small farmstead owners) and komornicy (tenant farmers). Surnames on this inventory include: Balun, Capicha, Dragan, Dudko, Dziadosz, Fecina, Glodko, Goresz, Fundalewicz, Goresz, Gunia, Guzy, Jurkowski, Kanczuga, Klimas, Kulenicz, Luczyczyn, Musiala, Nycz, Olenicz, Pawlak, Pejko, Popiwiczka, Premus, Rozdielski, Senio, Serafin, Serniak, Smolen, Stachurski, Szlachta, Szwed, Telep, Tomaszewski and Wasylec.
The Slownik Geograficzny (1887) describes a village near "extensive forests in which can be found oil springs." It describes a village of 167 homes, 830 Greek Catholics, 67 Roman Catholics and 10 Jews. The geography also contains the history of village ownership by Polish nobles.